Tuesday, June 24, 2008

White Pass Rail


Monday, June 16th
Today we rode the White Pass Rail. Now if you don't know this about me, I love trains. Ans so does Uncle Phil. So this was a real treat. The train was built during the Klondike Gold Rush and besides for a few years that it was halted has run since then. Now full of tourist of course. It is a beautiful ride. We turned around at White Pass (the border). There are bridges on the track that make you feel like you are floating in the air, 1000 ft up. It was a neat feeling. When I go back in a couple weeks to hike the Chilkoot I will be riding the steam engine back from Lake Bennett. We had such a fun time. U Phil spent much time out on the "deck" of the train. I went out there and joined him a few times. It was so beautiful and you are so close to the rock and mountain.
After our train trip A Mary and I headed back into town to see if we could pick up the map I wanted from the Chilkoot Trail Office. We had been trying to talk to someone for a few days, but they were always busy with hikers. Today we did and I found out it's the same map I already have. I did check out the trial conditions on the board:
"Snowshoes recommended, campsites buried under snow still, avalanche danger high, walking sticks recommended."
I decided to wait until I come back to panic, since I do not have snowshoes or a walking stick. It's still a couple weeks away.
We walked down to the waterfront in the evening. I know that I started to feel a little sad, I have had so much fun these past few days with my Aunt and Uncle, but tomorrow we part ways. It really isn't a sad time, I just know that I will miss them. MJ

No comments: