Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Back to catching up

Downtown Skagway
Gold Miners' Cemetary
Last standing structure of Dyea
I think you've got this one.


So, after the "boating" (I use the term loosely) trip and the helicopter ride, we were off to the ferry and then onto Skagway. A Mary and U Phil learned that I must explore when I am riding the ferry. I think that it is such a cool way to get around and I just have to know what's on the "boat" I am on. The ferry ride is 5.5 hours, so by the time we got to Skagway it was late. A Mary rolled out my bed and we retired. After checking out their "home on wheels".





On Sunday, June 15th (Happy Father's Day and Happy Birthday Denise) we did some more exploring. A Mary took me downtown to shop. Skagway is pristine. It is a small community, 820 year-round residents. But they have a wooden walkway and the buildings are all painted and the streets are clean. I was very impressed, make Juneau's downtown look like the slums. I came to the conclusion that it has to do with the area being considered "historic". Gateway to the Gold Rush. So I am assuming that they get federal funding and may use that money to keep the town looking so nice.





A Mary was a patience women while I shopped for hiking pants. I have had a problem finding any that fit in Juneau and even though we are the bigger town, Skagway has much better hiking stores. I have a feeling that has to do with people coming to the area and buying what they need before they hike the Chilkoot.





We explored an old Gold Miners Cemetery and they took me out to the start of the Chilkoot. I wasn't excited at all. I think if U Phil could have driven the truck on it, we would have. We also did a little walk-about through what used to be Dyea. The starting town to the Chilkoot. A Mary was wishing she had he Bear Spary. It is a beautiful area where fresh water meets the salt water. I plan to give you more history on the area after I return from the Chilkoot. The drive back there was a little narrow at times, glad I wasn't driving. I hope that Bob and I will be able to go back and spend a few days. It is definitely our kind of place. MJ

1 comment:

Tristan and Adam said...

4 days till the big trip! yippeeee!!!