Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What is True Love?

(The photo is explained, read on)


I found this in the paper one morning, it is a response to a letter written to Dear Abby. I have been saving it for the right moment, when I figured out how I wanted to us it. The original letter was from a women basically talking about how her partner never "buys her anything to express his love". This goes along with all the marketing of "jewelry" that men are bombarded with. If you don't by your "women" a diamond, you must not be in love. There were many responses, but this one was "clipping worthy" and I have been caring it around in my notebook ever since:


Dear Abby: My parents have been married 45 years, and the most romantic gesture I ever saw too place ten years ago. One day, while she was digging in the garden, I saw my dad standing there, hovering over her with a can of wasp spry, ready to blast any potential threat to eternity if it got near mom. Now that's better than a diamond any day. - Sam in Palatine, Ill.
At first I cracked up about this, then I clipped it out and have been thinking about it ever since. It's not the fancy gifts, tied up in a bow that I love my husband for, it is the thoughtful, caring things that he does that blows my mind. Here are two that I wanted to share with you. I am still in awe. . .
When we have guests stay, we move our bed into our guest room and sleep on our new air mattress (okay Sheri, we didn't for you, but we're the same age, the same aches and pains, well, Bob is older). When I came home from Skagway, I am not even sure how we got on the subject, but Bob commented that he had just moved our bed back into our room and couldn't wait to sleep on it. I asked what he meant and his reply "It didn't feel right to sleep in our bed without you, so I waited until you got home". That's love.
Because of that plantoficiitis (whatever) that I have, my feet hurt, a lot. I walked around the house many nights on my tippy-toes making noises with every step. Thanks to A Mary, I have gone to icing them which helps greatly. Poor Bob has had to witness all of this, so the other night he came home and as he approached me on the coach said "close your eyes, you might not like this, but open them". It was the above foot bath complete with vibrating attachments (for my feet yo dirty people (person - Scott)), heat, bubbles. He filled it up, hooked it up and my feet were (are) so happy, happy, happy (just like the note he left on top the net night says, with little feet drawn on it, Happy Feet! Now that is true love. MJ

1 comment:

Once Upon a Farm said...

See....you went there before I did... :P

So - when are you going to accept my invitation on on myspace to be my friend??