Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Ferry Ride Home

Tuesday, June 16th

This morning was a little "ruff". A Mary and U Phil drove me to the Ferry Terminal. We had long hugs (where A Mary commented that I wasn't gong to let go). I jabbered about seeing them in December, only 6 months away, to tell my mom and brother that I miss them everyday (here come the tears), and that I wasn't going to cry. So I got my stuff, didn't (couldn't) look at them and I turned around and walked away. I felt a little bad about it, but I just couldn't look back. It's not a sad time, A Mary and U Phil are continuing on an incredible journey and I am returning to a new life that I (we) are very proud and happy with. But it still makes the heart sad and the eyes weepy to be a part. But we will be home for Christmas and that will feel . . . there are no words, it will just be.
On the ferry, the sky cleared up and it was beautiful out. I slept a bit, tired, the rhythm of the ferry, and willing myself not to cry. Part way through the trip they announced that they would be having their weekly Coast Guard drills and maneuvers (crew only). I didn't really feel the maneuvers, but you sure did hear the drills. First was the fire drill, then (I can' remember the second), but the third one was Abandon Ship! Now I had fallen back to sleep during all of this and let me tell you, I never, ever, drill or worse yet, the real thing, want to hear those sirens, bells, and whistles again. I jolted up and said "oh my goodness", hand over heart, then remembered that it was only a drill. What a horrific sound. At the end they made an announcement that the drills were over and anything aft that was to be treated as the real thing. Well I held my breathe the last 1/2 hour home.
As we approached the ferry terminal I scanned for out truck and my gorgeous husband. They were both there. It feels good to be back in his arms. We spent the rest of the day being kind of lazy and just enjoying being. MJ

No comments: