Saturday, March 1, 2008

Just a thought . . .

This was in the paper last week and I thought it was a good reminder to us all.

Look everyday service person you deal with directly in the eye. That McD's coffee guy is a person, too; recognizing it makes you a better one.

Chris, one of the guys I work with at the theater was out on a smoke break looking at items in the window of the shop next door. Some guy walking down the street saw him, he was dressed in his movie theater attire, and said "You can't afford it any way". Chris was a little annoyed when he came back in. See what the guy on the street didn't know, Chris works for the state and doesn't need this job, he just does it like me, for something to do. Plus we have fun together. We don't know much about the people we interact with each day and we shouldn't presume we do.

For me the theater has become a way for students to see in a different light. Not just the "mean ole ISS Instructor". I am actually a fun human being that knows about movies. MJ

1 comment:

Marlys said...

My grandma, Dolly Richardson, was a people watcher. Every where you would go with her, she would watch the 'folks' on the street. Back then, not many of them "lived" on the street like now (at least I didn't know they did) but I can remember her saying that the "people are just as good as the folks". It probably took me a while to really figure out what she meant but I know in my heart that she was telling me everybody is created equal and should all be treated the same. The way she said it to me helped me figure it out for myself. I love that about her!

I love that part of you, too, Molly, that is just like my Grandma!