Saturday, May 17, 2008

ROPES

That is what I have been working on . . . Rite of Passage Experiences. It is a project that our Eighth Graders start at the beginning of the year. They choose a subject that they want t learn about (it is suppose to be something that will challenge them), then they find a "Coach" (a community member who has knowledge on the subject and is willing to work with the student), they write essays, make posters, then at the end of the year they present their project to a panel of 3 community members out at UAS (University of Alaska Southeast). It is a big deal. Where I came I this year was to reserve the University, get food donations, find drivers to transport students to and from the University, find panelist, make copies, schedule panelist, and countless other pieces of the puzzle. It was a big job. I spent may extra hours on this. But it is done for this year. The students are relieved and so is the staff. I have one student run down the hall, arms open in a hug posture, so happy that she was done with her presentation.

So now I am on to the Eighth Grade Dance which is this Friday, May 23rd. Thank goodness the staff working on it hasn't used my services very much or I would have been in real trouble. MJ

2 comments:

Marlys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marlys said...

Let's try this again: When I saw the title ROPES, I was intrigued. When I read what it was, I was in awe! How COOL! Keep up the good work. This is one of those times it is a good thing to be "in the ROPES".