Saturday, May 3, 2008

Back at Saturday School

Yeap, here I am again. I thought that I would be off this week, but I have the next 2 off. We have had a busy week and are adjusting to Bob's new schedule.

Tuesday I stayed at school for the 5th grade parent meeting. I was able to get a couple volunteers signed up for next year. It's a start. The summer will fly by and I will be back at trying to organize events.

The new schedule is a little rough and I have gotten out of sync. Today I slept until 7 am and then laid on the coach until 7:45 am. Crazy and I don't like it. The opening for Iron Man was last night and I worked. IT was crazy busy, which I like, but I am exhausted today. I was to get out of work at 9:30 am, but we sold out the first show and I just couldn't see leaving my co-workers to deal with the second showing. The night flew by. So I worked until 10:30 and then bailed out of there. I am going to pick up another night now that Bob is working later. That way hopefully when the electric bill comes it won't be so overwhelming.

Joelle gave me a bike this week and on Wednesday Bob dropped me off at work and my plan was to ride it home. It can't be any harder than walking and much quicker. So I rode to Tristan's after work, we went for a walk (about an hour) and then I started for home (5:54 pm). Well, let me just say that I did a lot of praying on that bike ride. It is harder than walking and I can't even believe it. I had gotten up to 8 miles/5 days a week and I didn't think that bike and I were going to make it home. First off, my butt hurt so bad, I mean bad! I forgot about that part. A couple spots I got off my bike to push it up a hill and I had the "cowboy walk" going. I was shocked. I finally did make it home and it only took me 1 hour. That is what I was hoping for. Unfortunately I haven't done it again. Bob is going to do some maintenance on the bike. Long about the time I got to the JDHS, my peddles started to stick. I was getting a little panicky about whether I was just going to get off and walk that bike home or just ditch it and catch the bus. I did a lot of taking to God and asking him to get me and that bike home. I told Him I knew it wasn't the most important of prays, but I could us a little help. I told Bob about my little problem and when he looked at the bike he discovered that the wheels wobble from side to side when you ride. This weekend I have to get a spoke wrench and he's going to see if that will do the trick. I need to get back to riding and/or walking. I have already missed 2 days and I am feeling groggy and lazy.

I went out on Thursday night and got a bike helmet. I am not to crazy about the way they look, but I figured if I am going to make this bike my mode of transportation, I need to be smart about it. Funny how as a teenager I would ride down 223 with semi's blazing by me and it didn't really bother me, but when I rode home on Wednesday all I could think about is if I fall, it's gonna hurt. Does that go with getting older? I am not to happy that all the helmets have to be aero-dynamic. I mean seriously for the average rider, we don't move that fast. I almost looked at the all purpose helmets, but I figured I'd get too much crap for that. I also bought a mirror so I can see who's be hind me without turning my head. There are other plans: a fender, saddle bags, flashing lights, maybe a bell and basket on front. But for now we will just get it in working order. It will save us in gas and help me to continue my goal of having a healthy body. With my family history I don't think I will even bother with a healthy mind.

Well, I know that there is a limit on blogs so I had better post this one now. MJ

2 comments:

Marlys said...

You and Ethan....what a pair! He got a two-wheeler this week too but the problem with his is that Brooke put it together WITHOUT instructions! The training wheels held the back wheel off the ground, the brake was on the wrong side so it was on all the time, the handlebars were loose and about to fall off....I can't remember if that was all but Uncle Phil fixed it. Must be something in the atmosphere!

Once Upon a Farm said...

All I can picture is Elimra Glutch pedaling... *WICKED laugh!*