Thursday, November 15, 2007

B-Ball in Ketchikan





What a trip!

Our teams played great and had such a good time. It's so neat to be a part of these trips. Watching a player shoot 3 free throws in a row to win the game, another making a 3 pointer and wanting to know if we got it on film (which we did not - drat), a player who wasn't going to be able to go because of the cost (we have an incredible staff) was able to go - won all tourney - you can't beat that smile, kids just being goofy - players giving you flowers and saying thank you, coming home with 3 trophies, a team getting their first win of the season, bleacher butt, hearing them laugh and cheer for each other, giggling in bed because your so tired and the other coaches have your luggage, Almond Joy Mocha, yummy breakfast, meeting Tristan's mom (I was so happy that she got to see her mom, but my heart ached for mine) the list goes on and on and i got to be a part of it.
The pictures and as follows from left to right:
The ferry from the airport in Ketchikan to the mainland. Yes, the airport is on an island. Many of us stood outside. Luckily it's a very short ride.
Tirstan and I at the gym. Have I always been this goofy?
The bed Tristan and I had to share the first night. Let me just say this was no queen, I am not even sure it was a full. Tristan's mom and I were thinking it was a 3/4. I didn't even know they made those any more. We had our own blankets and did not sleep well. Sharing a bed after only a few months of knowing each other. We joked about it but were happy to have own own beds on Saturday.
Creek Street. If you ever see Ketchikan on the Travel Channel they show this street everytime and it looks just like on tv. Now I can say I've been there!
That's our entire group - 47 players, 3 managers, 3 coaches, and 4 coaches and a couple balloons
Now for random thoughts on the trip . . . our players were fascinated that the gym was on the second floor of the school, one of the boys had to be told (by me, I am whitty) that the doors at the airport were not a carousal ride, I don't like to fly and being on a mechanical delay does not help that, on one of our walks back to the hotel Tristan and I were discussing how the house's Christmas lights were disorientating seconds later Tristan tripped on a rise in the sidewalk and took flight, then rolled, Saturday night drunk people pee in the parking lot and don't care that you're there (not any of us!), sitting above the wing and straining your eyes to make sure all the rivets are there is not comforting, Help! Help! - sometimes it's all you can say when your man out runs you on the court, doesn't matter what the sport - some fans are just intense, the runways in the Southeast are short and when the plane touches down all you think is "Reverse Thrust, Reverse Trust", chaperoning is rewarding and tiring
I think that's it. Bob and I had Mom laughing pretty hard the other night on the phone. Check with her, I may have left something out. MJ

7 comments:

Bob and Molly said...

Well, hope you can figure out the pictures because the post looks different now that I published it.

Once Upon a Farm said...

Not to mention that huge run-on sentense!!! Mrs. Burt would not be happy..... :)

Tristan and Adam said...

wow, in that picture of creek street it looks like it was actually sunny in Ktn. You forgot to mention that we all have permanent bruises on our butts from sitting in the bleachers so long!!! Go team!

Marlys said...

And I'm laughing all over again! Pictures are GREAT!....but I don't see the mechanic and parts that came over on the ferry? LOL, I wish I had a recording of that phone call!

(By the way "Scooter", what would Mrs. Burt think about the way you spell sentence?)

Bob and Molly said...

Good one Mom!

Once Upon a Farm said...

DOH!

Once Upon a Farm said...

I was in a hurry... :)