Friday, October 24, 2008

Hanging out with Flat Stanley

Last Saturday (Oct. 18th), Bob wanted to get a haircut before his surgery. I dropped him off at the Barber Shop and headed out to the Glacier to get pictures with Flat Stanley. As I approached the Glacier to park I saw a dark animal "flopping" around. I thought "that looks like a bear", but then dismissed it as "probably someone's dog". But as I continued to get closer, it was a bear. I had to wait to park as it crossed in front of the truck. Now, normally I would have stayed in the truck, and probably even left. But today was different. I had Flat Stanley and I wanted Jered to have the best presentation in class. So I gathered my camera and Flat Stanley and headed out to grab some pictures. In my defense there were 3 other people, so I felt safe enough. The bear had gone down to the little pond by the Glacier so I snapped, snapped, snapped my camera. I finished with pictures in front of the Glacier and a beaver damn and then headed back to the truck. By this time the bear had moved and I didn't know where, so I was out of there. When I got back to the truck I attempted to look at the pictures, but my battery had died. "Have to look at home", I thought. I dashed off to get Bob and tell him the exciting news. Here's were the story goes bad. When we got home I tried to download the pictures, which did start. Then stopped and told me to reformat my memory card. Ugh! I have not done it yet, still holding out hope that if I keep trying, my pictures will come back. So know all we have is "a bear story" for Jered to share with his class. Kind of like "a fish story".