Saturday, January 19, 2008

Chilkoot Trail Schedule

Tristan made our reservations on Wednesday and here is what it looks like:

Ferry from Juneau to Skagway on the 28th or 29th
(will still need the ferry schedule to be posted in order to make reservations. Lots of drama over that right now. This is an important way of transportation for this area and normally the schedule is posted in Nov/Dec so people are in an uproar and rightfully so, it is the least expensive way to travel around here and when you don't like to fly (me, me, me) it is the only other way.)

Monday, June 30th (7.5m) staying @ Canyon City Campground

Tuesday, July 1st (5m) staying @ Sheep Camp

Wednesday, July 2nd (8m) staying @ Happy Camp

Thursday, July 3rd (9m) staying @ Bare Loon Lake

Friday, July 4th (4m) into Bennet by 2 pm

and then White Pass Rail to Skagway to celebrate the 4th. Tristan thought it would be cool to see what they do for the 4th and then we will ferry home on the 5th. It is pretty exciting and real now that our reservations are made.

This week we got our backpacking saw (which Bob insisted was a bad design and went on for 5 minutes before he commented that it was operator error, so it is a good design and we get to keep it.) and our backpacking trash bag. Which is the most expensive trash bag I will ever buy ($35) but necessary since y0u must pack out everything. Basically it is a dry bag, but with an extra lining. This trail you are not allowed fires, I know, camping with no fire nuts, so we can't even burn paper, so it all has to get packed out. That made Tristan absolutely certain that Rosco was not coming. Yes, they even want you to pack out your dogs poo. No way for me.

So now the rest of the preparations are beginning. We have many items to purchase before I go, which is fine since this is the type of camping we want to be doing now. Bye, bye City Camping. My brother would be proud. It is a little odd, staring over with our gear. Now the first question is how much does it weigh? We think that we found the tent and sleeping bags we want. Are you all picturing this, me loaded up like a pack mule. I am a little nervous about that part (mostly because I like to eat and I know I will be freaking out if I have enough food. I do not like to go hungry!) Speaking of food we where looking a bear bags and man are they expensive. Damn animals, find your own food. But for this trail a dry bag will work. Which is still pricey, but not as much as the other. The process is slow since we will most likely do much of our ordering online or special order. No just walking into a store and finding what you need.

Bob is going to have me looking like Rambo by the time I leave. Knife on one leg, bear spray on the other. Just enough to piss em off. (Mom calm down, I am only joking, it'll be fine.)

That's it for now on the Chilkoot. MJ

4 comments:

Marlys said...

Good thing that at this hour of the night my brain doesn't process as quickly as my eyes read or I would have been freaking out! Don't be irritating any bears anywhere!

Once Upon a Farm said...

Starting MJ Hillis as "Rambo XX" - I better stop at just to X's *HA!* I go so see Molly taking on a Grizzly with a knife - and actually winning. No worries Maryls, she'll have a nice bear rug on the floor in no time.... :)

Bob and Molly said...

Speaking of Rambo - another movie begins next week and no, I am not the star this time!

Once Upon a Farm said...

Yah - if you're starring in Rambo XXX - I hope your mother doesn't know...... Check that, I hope all of Onsted doesn't know.... :)