Monday, October 11, 2010

GSE Weekend

This weekend was my GSE selection weekend and I spent it with some pretty remarkable people.  I was so nervous, but was put at ease.  Everyone was so kind and I had a wonderful time.  I even cooked!  Imagine!!

Friday Night . . . we all meet and had dinner.  It was pretty neat meeting everyone and listening to the Rotary members stories.  Part of our District is in Russia, so their stories about traveling to and from, were pretty entertaining.  I also meet all of the other GSE applicants and they all seem down to earth.  We had some nice conversations and it was good to meet everyone.  They also told us that tomorrow night we have to cook - are you kidding me, ya all know I don't cook!  They told us that the secret ingredients are a moose roast and some smoked salmon, it sounded like there were some good ideas on how to prepare it.
Me ready for dinner


Me ready for dinner with my sweater 

Saturday . . . After a day of learning about Rotary and presenting our Power Points, which I was pretty nervous about, but I did it!, we also went shopping for our dinner items. 

Devon with the secret ingredients - moose roast

Carrying the groceries up the drive

All of us preparing the feast

Thomas with the moose roast which was taken down by the 11 year old granddaughter of Mike and Peggy from the selection committee.

Me helping with the salad - it was yummy!

A full kitchen

The feast

 Beef Stroganoff

Dinner preparations

The Chocolate Moose (delicious Kate!) brigade

Time to do dishes . . .

After dinner . . . we took the "out of towners" for a night tour of the Capital City . . .
Devon at the Capital

At the Red Dog (aka The Dog) taken the tourist pic . . .

A few drinks at "The Dog" . . .

Cheers!
Sunday Morning . . .this morning we meet with Dora, who will be the Team leader, then we departed . . .
Bob forgot to mention that he had reset the alarm for 5:45 am, instead of 5 am, so the result was me drying my hair at Coastal.

Departing from the hotel . . . the candidates then went to the Glacier


The GSE Candidates at the Mendenhall Glacier

It was a pretty remarkable weekend.  I am glad that I had this opportunity, that's what this "Alaska Life" is, seizing the moments . . .

3 comments:

Once Upon a Farm said...

Drying your hair in a airplane hanger..... That's hot! :)

Once Upon a Farm said...

And you have lots of good cooks in your family (come on - one was a cook at school after all!) - you just need more practice....

Bob and Molly said...

I so cannot wait until next June - we are going to have so much fun!!!